Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Son Hates Me

Why does my 12 year old son hate me? Am I that terrible of mom? Where did I go wrong? All these questions and hundreds more crossed my mind this past weekend as my son had a huge fit in the car. For whatever reason he has been angry since his dad and I split up about 9 years ago. Then we moved 150 miles away from his dad 6 years ago and I'm sure that did not help. I remarried and he inheritated 3 step siblings. Not easy for any child to handle. Well as he gets older he gets more mad. He is in counsling but not sure how much that is working. He has decided that he want to go live with his dad on a fulltime basis. Oh how sad that makes me. However, the more I think about it the more I think maybe it is for the best. They are very close and he seems to think that weekend dad and fulltime dad are the same. They are not. Dad is now going to have to have rules and bedtimes and I can't wait to see how he reacts to that.

I have figured out that my son doesn't hate me, I'm not a terrible mom, and I've done nothing wrong. It's just the time in my sons life where he needs to be with his dad more. Boys need their dads when they get that age and I want my son to have his dad and be able to spend time with him. However, not seeing my son everyday is going to be the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

How do us moms compare to a boys dad? We don't we just love them and know that they are always a mommas boy.

1 comment:

  1. GL in your decision. Thats such a hard one to make. I know you will make the right one for your family though. Hugs. I think if he does go live with his dad, you are right. He will see that weekend dad and fulltime dad are 2 different people. That will be hard. Then he might even realize that living with mom wasnt so bad afterall. LOL

    ReplyDelete